Monday, September 2, 2013

First Ride for the 1953 Sports Tourist

I mounted the seat and took the 1953 Raleigh for its maiden voyage after the refurbishing.  Went for a short ride on the W&OD rails to trail bike path.  Made some seat, handlebar and brake adjustments on the ride.  Over all I'm happy with the results.  Still need to find some proper pedals and a black reflector.  Just ordered a Carradice Barley saddle bag for it.  I borrowed the bag in the pictures from my 1949 Comrade Roadster.

I'm also looking for a new fork.  You might be able to tell from the pictures that it is bent, also the steering tube had a bulge from someone over tightening the quill.  I knew the fork was bent when I first disassembled the bike, I thought I had a Black replacement in some old parts; however, the replacement was for the larger 23" frame.  Rather then wait to find a suitable replacement, I continued with the build using the original fork, hoping it would ride OK.  It seemed to be fine on the ride, but I do want to replace it at some point.













No comments:

Post a Comment